Sunday, October 25, 2015

Vader, you are my daughter


Making a Darth Vader costume for my teen daughter. Like you do.

Trying to avoid paying a ludicrous sum for a badly made male costume that is worn twice at the most. Also avoiding purchasing a badly made female Vader costume that is designed to look like a space hooker. So we bought a cheap mask, cape and light saber and I told her I'd make the T-shirt. Thank goodness for my prodigious ribbon collection. I found that gluing ribbons on to make the details is a lot neater and faster than the freezer paper stencil I had envisioned. I think I'll glue on some felt to make the gray part of the yoke at the top and call it a day. Black jeans, boots and belt and she's good to go. I mean evil. Evil to go.

Are you guys as geeked out about the upcoming Episode 7 as we are? Deep down I think I know it will be a disappointment...it's hard to imagine anything better than Episode 5. But I'm willing to find out.

My other kid wants to be a fox and somehow the entire world has been depleted of orange faux fur. I had some ordered online for a few weeks that's been backordered twice. So I gave up and canceled. I found some small pieces of neon orange at my local Joann (think Troll doll) so I'm going to see what I can do.

What are you making? You'd better get crackin'.

7 comments:

  1. so kewel. i check in here every day to see what you're up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, purejuice! Thanks for being so awesome. I'm sorry I've left you hanging lately with posts. Hopefully life will ease up a bit in the next few weeks.

      Delete
  2. No way! I am making a Darth Vader costume for my daughter too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sarah! haha, that's great. Love to see what you are doing. I think we'll be two of the one billion Vader costumes out there on the 31st. But not all handmade, right? So that makes us unique.

      Delete
    2. Yes, there were a lot of Vaders, but you're right the handmade costumes stick out. I wonder what percentage of them had girls inside? Probably more than Disney realizes... :-)

      Delete
  3. We went the Disney Store costume route for my Precious Princess' Darth Vadar costume. I had great doubts about my ability to sew such a thing (especially since she wanted it to light up). I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yarn Miracle, gone are the days when I could purchase a cute kiddy costume...My girls are sized out of those or Id be all over it. Wow, it lights up? *templing fingers* Excellent.

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!